Sunday, November 8, 2009

Catching the light

The idea of catching light to me is a metaphor relating to the photographing of something we are seeing visually. It is evident to make a photograph requires the use of some form of camera and a light sensitive medium such as film to capture the light we are seeing with a photograph. Since you never know when an image you wish to capture would appear means that you need to have a camera with you at all times. For most cell telephone users this is not an issue since camera capable cell phones came onto the market. Although somewhat limited these cell phone cameras do a reasonable job in most cases. I attempt to have one of my cameras with me at all times whenever I leave the house. I pack my older Nikon 8700 camera in my attaché case that I take to work. It is an 8 mega pixel camera with eight time optical zoom so it is fairly capable for most instances. It also has a pop flash unit allowing photographing in low light situations.


The end of last month I attended Scott Kelby’s seminar, Adobe Photoshop for Digital Photographer’s in Boston Massachusetts. Having a collection of various cameras I decided to take along my Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi. The majority of my cameras are Nikon but I do have this Canon as well as an Olympus point and shoot camera along with an assortment of off brand cameras plus a collection of film cameras. I like having a variety of cameras to work with but I chose the Canon DSLR since is a 10 mega pixel camera with some flexibility with an 18 to 55 mm lens which is convenient in an inner city environment.


It was a beautiful autumn day and at the end of the day as I left the Boston Convention Center where the workshop was held it was nearing sunset and I decided to see what I could do with a Cityscape Sunset. The following photo was taken on that day as I walked to the local T stop at South Station.


I waited till the sun ducked behind the buildings in the distance and there was a few high clouds which helped reflect the sunset hues.
The Photo on the right was taken facing directly west into the sunset.


The lesson of this post is that to take advantage of whatever photographic opportunity that may come your way is to have your camera at the ready at all times. When photographers say they got a "lucky shot" what they really mean is that the photo composition presented itself and being prepared they were able to make the photo.

It has been my personal experience that I have missed out on many occasion for a photo op because I did not have a camera with me. Now I try to make sure that is not the case. However, I pretty much have my cell phone with me at all times and have taken some photos with it but I prefer one of my cameras to be with me at all times because of their flexibility and increased capabilities. Be prepared and you will never be sorry. One day you too may be able to boast of that great "lucky shot" you managed to capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment